Monday, February 7, 2011

Wetting my line

Greetings and Salutations, dear reader!

I recently ended a tumultuous five year relationship.  Now, you should know that prior to the aforementioned union I was married for twenty three years. I'm informing you of this merely to emphasize that I am NOT a minnow nor do I have much experience in internet relationships.  But I was lonely, bored, and feeling adventurous one evening so I joined one of those free online dating sites.  After years of disappointment and frustration I felt that I was in a place where I knew exactly what I wanted.  I set out to compose my profile in such a way as to express precisely who I was and the type of man I was looking for.  I included a couple of photos that showed me as I really was - no glamour shot or photoshopping.  If anyone wanted to date me they would be well informed before any interaction took place.

I think I did a pretty good job of describing myself.  I asked my adult daughters to review the final draft of my profile before I posted it and they agreed that it was accurate.  So I took a deep breath and hit "Submit."

I was actually stunned at the volume of responses I received.  I am a rather ordinary looking, plus-sized woman and I really thought I'd be "lucky" (note the quotation marks) to hear from one or two lonely middle aged men.   Surprisingly, I got more emails than I could answer!  How exciting!  I quickly and earnestly set out to respond to everyone who had taken the time to write me.

Wow.  Did I get an education!  In the days to come I will be sharing this wealth of knowledge I have obtained with you, dear reader.  For today, however, I will leave you to ponder this question:

If there are Plenty of Fish in the Sea, then why am I catching only Flounders?

Love,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment